Out-of-state ATV Riders Need Passes

All-terrain-vehicle riders from other states must buy passes to use Minnesota’s 2,000 miles of trails.

The new law begins on Friday for out-of-state ATV users as a way to help fund trail maintenance. An annual pass costs $21 and may be bought via telephone, on line or where hunting and fishing licenses are sold.

The new law only affects out-of-state ATV drivers. Minnesotans already must register their ATVs and pay a fee. Snowmobiles also must be registered, whether they are from Minnesota or other states.

The passes last a year and may be used on any state-run trail. Passes are not needed if an ATV is used on a trail owned by the driver’s spouse, child or parent. The pass also is not needed for people driving on lakes, such as when moving fish houses.

Any ATV driver with an out-of-state driver’s license needs the pass.

"From the way this pass is set up, it doesn’t matter where the machine is registered," said Ron Potter of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources trails division. "It is where the driver’s license is from."

Potter said he suspects that DNR officers will not issue many tickets immediately.

"Like most new laws, it will be a year of educating folks," Potter said. "I do not anticipate they will be writing a lot of tickets the first year."

Forrest Boe, the DNR parks and trails deputy director, predicted little immediate impact.

"There is not a lot of winter recreational ATV riding," Boe said.

Most state trails are in northern Minnesota, and Potter said that most out-of-state drivers come from North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

State officials estimate that about 10,000 of the 100,000 state trail users come from other states.

To buy an ATV trails permit:

  • Go to www.mndnr.gov and click on “buy a license.”
  • Call (888) 665-4236 any time and use a credit card.
  • Visit one of nearly 1,800 license locations; to find a location, go to www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/agents.html or call (888) 646-6367.

ATVs generally are small four-wheel vehicles. The law does not affect trucks and other off-road vehicles.

The ATV trails pass is one of just a few new laws that take effect Friday; most began on Aug. 1.

Another new law bans Minnesota manufactures from selling children’s cups and bottles containing the chemical Bisphenol-A and bans stores from selling them after Jan. 1, 2011. The chemical is thought to cause cancer.

Also as of Friday, most Twin Cities residents who use plastic bags for yard waste will be required to use one that can be composted. The law also requires all bags purported to be biodegradable or "compostable" to meet certain standards.