Sieben will not run for lieutenant governor

By Don Davis

The person most discussed as Gov. Mark Dayton’s running mate says she is not interested.

State Sen. Katie Sieben, D-Cottage Grove, made the announcement in a late Friday afternoon statement.

“There is more work to do to ensure that our economic recovery reaches every Minnesotan,” Sieben said of the Senate job. “I will not be a candidate for lieutenant governor.”

Her name came up last summer when Lt. Gov. Yvonne Prettner Solon hinted she was not interested in serving as second term with Dayton because they seldom talked and she had a limited role in the administration. Earlier this month, Prettner Solon announced she is not running again.

Minutes before Sieben’s announcement, Dayton hinted that he might announce his pick for a running mate on the Democratic ticket early next week, before he undergoes hip surgery at the Mayo Clinic. He refused to tell reporters if Sieben was a leading candidate or anything else about his selection process.

Other names that have been tossed around for the job include his chief of state, Tina Smith, and Commissioner Tony Sertich of the Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board.

Sieben said she wants to continue her job in the Senate, where she is assistant majority leader.

She praised Dayton for improving the state economy, adding: “I have every confidence that Governor Dayton will be successful in his re-election bid, and I will help his campaign in whatever way I can.”

Comments are closed.