Federal authorities on Friday added 24 Minnesota counties affected by summer floods to its disaster list.
The Red Lake Band of Chippewa and Prairie Island Indian Community also were declared federal disaster areas.
State officials earlier this week asked Washington to add 30 counties and the two tribes.
“I will continue advocating strongly for the inclusion of the six additional counties that sustained significant damage during this summer’s flooding,” Gov. Mark Dayton said.
Friday’s announcement means 30 Minnesota counties are included in the disaster, even though state officials have said more than half of the state’s 87 counties sustained at least some damage.
Federal money will fund 75 percent of state and local government costs related to floods that began on June 11. The other 25 percent is to be paid by the state.
The 24 counties added to the federal disaster list are Beltrami, Blue Earth, Brown, Carver, Dodge, Faribault, Koochiching, Lac Qui Parle, Lake of the Woods, Le Sueur, Marshall, Martin, McLeod, Nicollet, Redwood, Rice, Roseau, Scott, Sibley, Steele, Todd, Wadena, Waseca and Yellow Medicine. The counties that originally were designated are Chippewa, Freeborn, Jackson, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Renville and Rock.
Still being considered for federal aid are Dakota, Hennepin, Lyon, Ramsey, Watonwan and Wright counties.
Federal funds only are available to local and state governments, not individuals or businesses.